My Happy Heart

It is never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Happy Table

I never thought it would be so hard to let go of THINGS... but I found out today that it can be quite bittersweet.

I just sold the dining table that we bought when our babies were small. It was a large, friendly table full of happy memories from family dinners to Thanksgiving for 20! It was host to birthday parties and Graduation celebrations. Some of my children did their homework on it and some their homeschool work on it.

I remember when it was "mission central" - when, in 4th grade Andy had to do his California Mission project (as ALL 4th graders in the state must.) All of the supplies were laid out and Andy was giving directions to the whole family.... when all of a sudden, we all realized at once that WE were making his mission for him while he was just talking about it! We had a good laugh, but finished it and it was the best darn mission around!

I can remember when Ali always had her friends over. We were "the house" and I was "the mom" - her friends would come over (even if she wasn't there) and I would pour them a big glass of milk and set a plate of chocolate chip cookies out and they would eat and tell me their stories at that table. I loved that.

One Christmas, Peter put out some cookies and milk on that table, for Santa, with a note....just in case. I ate the cookies and hid the note in the nearby desk drawer. Some months later, when Peter was rifling through the desk to find something, he discovered the note that he thought Santa had taken.... he asked me why I had it and Santa didn't...I made up something about asking Santa to send it back to me so I could put it in Peter's memory box. Whew! He bought it and I did put it in his memory box!

That table has seen many crafts and sewing projects! All of the kids had chicken pox together, so during their long time at home we made sock puppets and did puppet shows! I think I have it on videotape.

Oh, the memories. I often wonder if all of the words spoken and all of the laughter and all of the love poured out at that table could have somehow been absorbed into the very character of the table - maybe....just maybe, the next family can enjoy it and pour their memories into it.

I hope so.




2 comments:

  1. Cindie, those memories are what have shaped your family and they won't be forgotten. You have bittersweet feelings letting it go, but now, as you said, it can be someone else's to build memories on. So you are passing on the blessing. Everything has its place and season. Know that you are loved and cherished and there is a bright side to your future. God has the perfect plan for you. And we continue to pray that you will find that spot and relish in it. My arms are around you right now so receive this great big hug! Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful memories, you were an amazing Mother! Funny thing, I have the exact same table. I hope I can pour as much life into mine as you did!

    ReplyDelete